16 July 2013

Anything

Telling God the word anything is terrifying. Letting Him take control of something I think I am handling so well (which I'm not) is probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. (That last sentence is grammatically incorrect. I'm already over it.)

But really. Have you let go? It's hard. One minute I'm singing at the top of my lunges: "I will climb this mountain with my hands wide open." But the words begin to change as I ponder my life and the upcoming mountains: "I will climb this mountain with my hands closed fisted." First of all, I'm glad this is a metaphor, because if I climbed the mountain with my hands wide open or close fisted, I will be seeing the mountain up close and personal if you know what I mean. It's the act of surrender, giving Jesus your all, your anything.

I prayed that prayer yesterday. That anything prayer. That prayer that tells God, I'm done trying to do it on my own. I'm done trusting man and myself for the answers and the abilities.

Why is God the hardest person to trust, when He's the only One who hasn't let us down? If someone can answer that question for me let me know, actually don't answer it. I don't need to know the answer. I just need to know at all times, God's got it under control. He's got my back.

Even when there's sickness.
Even when there's death.
Even when there's heartache.
Even when there's betrayal.
Even when there's depression.
Even when there's loneliness.
Even when there's hate.
Even when there's [fill in YOUR blank].

I'm reading this book by Jennie Allen with the ladies over at Good Morning Girls. It's great! The title of the book is called Anything. It's hard. It's hard to tell Jesus to take it all. Because I'm scared of what He'll take. It's hard to let go of the known for the unknown. But I know it's worth it. Because I've prayed those anything prayers. And I can tell you, those were the hardest days of my life. But, they were the most fulfilling. I had God encounters you wouldn't believe when I prayed those prayers. He showed up, I grew. He spoke and I knew who I was in Him.

Are you willing to let go of the known for God's master plan? It means different things to different people.

For me it means leaving the place I've called home for over 8 years, to build a new home. I knew I was leaving Lincoln in the foreseeable future and I had my idea of what that would look like. But, it changed. Not saying God wouldn't have honored my idea or plan. But, instead, I get to move with my whole family - parents and siblings (one who's an adult and haven't lived with for years). We're all going to be together as a family! Yes, I'm an almost 27 year old living with my family. But, I do have a job and bills. :)

That's not the point. Your anything may not be what you thought it would be, your anything may not look like mine. But, you won't know until you try!

My anything was confirmed yesterday morning that I was following the path He's laid out before me.

Check out GOOD MORNING GIRLS, and the Anything Bible Study. Also, you can get Jennie's book, Anything, at Amazon. (I really need to sign up for their affiliate program so I can get credit for sending people to one of my favorite sites!)

What does your "Anything Prayer" look like? Why haven't you prayed that prayer? If you have, how has God transformed your life?




1 comment:

  1. I am dealing with so much these days and I have shared the same emotions as you. I committed to change my though process and trusting God more. I have to be intentional about it. I have found myself crying out to him more and more in my despair. I have prayed that prayer and I know God is already moving in my life. I feel lighter since I have given up control.

    Charity
    The Word of A Nerd

    ReplyDelete