16 April 2013

One Day Without Shoes 2013

You know I love Toms! The shoes that is. They are comfy, cute, and convenient. They also send a pair of shoes to a child in need -- They call it one for one. Every year, to raise awareness, they host the ONE DAY WITHOUT SHOES.

Last year in October, I went  a whole day without shoes! Raising awareness is good. I know some of us can't take our shoes off, but let's raise awareness of all the children who go barefoot throughout the world.

I may still be chilling around the house, but I can raise awareness through my social media. I will be taking a picture of my feet and sharing it via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Join me! If you would like information: Visit ONE DAY WITHOUT SHOES.

Here are some stats from the ONE DAY WITHOUT SHOES website:

HOOKWORM

A SOIL- TRANSMITTED PARASITE THAT AFFECTS 740 MILLION PEOPLE WORLDWIDE



Impact

Long-term physical effects include stunted growth, decreased cognitive development, anemia and chronic fatigue.
Studies show that children affected by hookworm are 20% less likely to go to school and earn 40% less in adult life.

Solution

Prevention and treatment includes education, medication, improved hygiene and sanitation and protection from soil.

Why Shoes?

Giving Partners like IMA World Health give de-worming medication along with shoes to children, helping them stay healthy with a combination of prevention and treatment.
SOURCE: Bleakley, 2007 & WHO

No comments:

Post a Comment